Menopause and Reflexology
How Reflexology Can Support the Menopause Experience
Regular reflexology treatments can support a menopausal woman physically, mentally and emotionally. It can help a woman tune into her body’s needs, highlighting imbalances and areas which need attention. It can provide a safe space in which to relax, receive and be self-focused. Having an empathic reflexologist who understands the physical changes behind menopausal symptoms and takes her problems seriously can, in itself, relieve stress.
The treatment should focus on:
- Stimulating the endocrine system: Adrenals (very important after menopause as hormone providers). Also, pituitary (regulates other glands), thyroid and parathyroid (to balance calcium and phosphorus levels and regulate metabolism). Ovaries (to regulate hormone production) and uterus (to maintain its circulation). Head/brain area to stimulate hypothalamus (stimulates pituitary and controls body temperature) and pineal gland (body rhythms, sleep patterns). Lower spine to support reproductive area.
- Promoting elimination and fluid balance: liver (to detoxify toxins and regulate body heat), kidneys (to filter blood and balance body fluid), lymphatics (encourage lymph drainage), colon and rectum (to regulate bowel habits).
- Boosting the immune system – lymphatics, spleen, thymus gland.
- Boosting self-esteem – solar plexus (calming, supporting, promotes positive self-image and boosts willpower).
- Supporting emotional balance: heart and cardiac area (to release emotional tension and promote positive energy in heart chakra).
- Relieving stress: use lots of moves which promote relaxation – chest and diaphragm to ease breathing; neck, occipital, shoulders, joints, spine to release tension.